The real estate broker’s commission is a determined percentage of the price obtained for the sale of the property given to the professional for his services. In other words, it is the broker’s compensation. The commission can vary depending on the broker, agency, and territory, but be aware that everything is negotiable. The commission is taxable.
Thus, some choose to sell their property themselves in order not to pay a commission to a real estate broker and to save thousands of dollars. While this option is not meaningless, it is not always easy to sell a house on your own. While some owners get away with it, others experience a real nightmare.
Before installing your sign for sale
First of all, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- How much time can you spend selling your home?
- Are you ready to give up some activities?
- Are you available evenings or weekends?
- Do you know the market value of your property?
- Are you aware of the papers to gather to build a good sales file? Papers to be completed?
- Are you good at negotiating?
Take the time to think about these questions before installing the sign on your property. Because from the moment you put up your sign or as soon as you post your house on a website specializing in real estate, a buyer will be able to make you an offer. Be ready.
Trust the expert
Selling without an intermediary is not for everyone. Are you in a hurry to sell? Do you feel uncomfortable presenting your home to strangers? Are you worried about negotiating with a buyer’s real estate broker? Answering “yes” to any of these questions is probably a signal you need to pay attention to. Better to consider paying a commission to a real estate broker than to embark on an adventure that worries you.
Using a real estate broker is:
- Benefit from the skills and experience of a professional;
- Entrust the management of operations to someone who knows it;
- Do business with a skilled negotiator who knows how to spot serious buyers.
An option that is gaining popularity
Still hesitating? Be aware that another business model is offered by some real estate agencies: the partnership between the seller and the broker, who both try to find a buyer.
Put all the assets on your side
Whether you decide to sell on your own or sign a brokerage contract, think about all you can do to enhance your home. The home staging or setting property value, proven to sell quickly and at good prices. Inquire!